Do you want to become a professional gemmologist and hold a world-renowned diploma? That’s what the Career Gemmologist program offers you: gemstone science, identification and grading of coloured stones and diamonds are at the rendezvous.
The Career Gemmologist Diploma, developed by the WGF (World Gem Foundation), aims to train gemologists with a solid knowledge of fundamental gemmology, but also with expertise in diamonds and coloured stones: three areas of expertise in one diploma!
The ambition of this training is to optimize your career opportunities in the world of gemmology: beyond theoretical and practical knowledge, you will be trained on the gem and jewellery industry.
In a studious and friendly atmosphere, guided by passionate experts, you will discover the fascinating world of gemmology and optimize your learning of gemstones and their properties and particularities through workshops and intensive practice.
In this extremely comprehensive course you will learn all about:
- the different instruments used to identify gemstones
- the scientific principles on which they are based
- how to distinguish laboratory-created imitation gems from their natural counterparts
- how to detect the different treatments used to improve the appearance and/or value of gems
- how gems are extracted and cut
- the grading procedures for diamonds and coloured stones
- identification of gems
- advanced gem testing techniques and a comprehensive review of all known and used gems worldwide
- the gradation and value of coloured stones and diamonds.
Who should take this course
The Career Gemmologist Program is done for everyone: neophytes, amateurs and professionals wishing to explore the fascinating world of stones.
This training does not require any prerequisites.
Course format and updates
The Career Gemmologist program is composed of 5 theoretical courses and 6 practical workshops (see organization chart on the right column).
The theoretical courses are:
- Basic Gemmology
- Advanced Gemmology
- Gems Identification
- Coloured Gemstones
They are available:
- Online, in digital version
- Online, in printed version
- On-site at the EGM (these theoretical courses on-site are given only in French at that moment)
Because this is the philosophy of the WGF, you benefit from exceptional advantages:
- Whatever formula you choose, the theoretical courses are always given in their digital version
- The photos of gems available on these courses are rewarded for their high quality
- Access to these courses in digital version is acquired for life
- An update is made every two years. Each student receives this update for life and free of charge via his access to the digital courses, and thus remains up to date with the latest developments in the world of gemmology
- The online courses are accompanied by individual tutoring (you will receive 12 hours of tutoring for this training).
The Career Gemmologist program also includes 6 practical workshops:
- Gems Identification 1 (5 days of practice)
- Gems Identification 2 (5 days)
- Lab-created and Treated Gems (5 days)
- Grading of diamonds and Lab-created Diamonds (8 days)
- Coloured Gemstones Grading 1 (5 days)
- Coloured Gemstones Grading 2
The first 5 workshops are spread over 168 hours of practical instruction.
The Coloured Gemstones Grading 2 has the particularity of being done online, with 60 hours of supervision from Gemewizard®. The course fee includes a one-year subscription to GemePriceTM, the Gemewizard® online price list for diamonds and gems.
Organization of the courses
The WGF courses have the great originality of being built by “independent” courses. Thus, two solutions are available to you: you can access the Career Gemmologist Diploma by taking your time, courses by course, or by choosing the Career Gemmology Module.
The Career Gemmologist Diploma course by course:
This formula allows you to:
- Choose the course format that suits you best course by course (printed or digital version)
- Adapt more easily your pace of study to your lifestyle
- Spread out your payments (payments are made course by course, at the beginning of each course), and adapt your learning to your finances.
However, this flexibility requires:
- A great deal of discipline
- A good personal organization (courses must be followed in a given order)
- Respecting the prerequisites (in order to get the most out of each course).
If you choose this formula, the first course to follow is Basic Gemmology.
The Career Gemmology Diploma with the Career Gemmology Module:
This formula offers two advantages:
- As the Career Gemmology Module consists in the five theory courses, you can’t go wrong with the order of the lessons…
- You pay for all these courses at once, but the price is more interesting.
Before you register for your first lesson, we ask you to send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will offer you an interview via Skype or Whatsapp or on-site. The aim is to make sure that you have chosen the right training, and we’ll be able to answer all your questions.
Please, be aware that these studies require seriousness and involvement. The level of the courses is indeed high, and requires a significant personal investment in terms of learning and revision time.
Language and schedules
The course is given in English.
It is also available in French. To register, please go to the French page of the course: Gemmologue de Carrière.
If you wish to follow the theoretical courses in Spanish (online and digital version only), please contact us at email@example.com. We do not give practical workshops in Spanish.
As the courses are given online, you will start and complete your course at your own pace. Make sure to respect the order of the classes.
If you want to benefit from a more intensive training and thus optimize access to the workshops (which are given in successive order), we advise you to start the training at least four months before the start of the first workshop. This implies a fairly dense rhythm. If you need more time, start earlier. The first workshop is Gem Identification 1 (the starting date of the workshop is indicated on the page of this course).
Prices will differ depending on the formula you choose. For example:
- The least expensive formula will be the totality of the theoretical courses on a digital version with the practical workshops at EGM: $11,238.81 CDN (taxes included)
- If you choose to take this training course by course, with a printed version, the final amount will be $11,957.40 CDN (taxes included)
How to register
Online, by mail or by phone at 514 844-0024. Registration for courses in French is done on the French version of the page.
Once registered, you will receive your student access code for the digital version of the courses, even if you choose a printed version.
When taking the courses online, you will be able to request 14 hours of tutoring at your convenience. This tutoring is individual, and is provided by one of the EGM teachers. You can sign up for additional tutoring if you wish (fee extra).
If you wish to build your Career Gemmologist diploma course by course, registration is done on the Basic Gemmology page. Please click HERE.
If you chose to study through the Career Gemmology Module, please register HERE.
Before you register, don’t forget to send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program consists of twelve online tests, a final practical exam on coloured stones (consisting of twelve stones), a practical exam on diamonds (requiring the preparation of complete lab reports for four diamonds), a theoretical exam of 100 multiple-choice questions and a theoretical exam of five essay questions.
The theoretical exams can be done online, and in real conditions, as if you were a gemmologist: in case of doubt, a gemmologist can refer to a book. It will be the same process during the exam. What counts in WGF examinations is the relevance and accuracy of the answers given. We prepare you for these exams throughout the year.
This is not the case for exams that require essay answers. No book searches are permitted. This exam requires supervision. We strongly recommend that you take this exam at the EGM to make it as easy as possible for you. You also have the option of taking this exam at another academy, or under the supervision of a professional gemmologist to whom we will refer you (you will need to charge $20 per exam hour).
You will find all the information you need about the WGF courses and the different procedures on the Gem Academy of Canada page.
You can also consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the WGF website.