An Ideal Location in the Heart of the City
The school is located in the heart of the cultural district of the vibrant and cosmopolitan city of Montreal.
EGM is located:
- On Ste Catherine Street West one of the city’s best shopping areas.
- Next door to the Belgo Arts Building and 2 blocks from the Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art (MAC)
- Steps away from Place des Arts, McGill and Square Victoria OACI metro stations, and Montreal’s ‘Quartier des Spectacles’ home to festivals including the International Jazz Fest and the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival.
- Short walk from university campuses and residences including McGill, Concordia, and University of Quebec.
- Close to Metro stations and bus stops.
Bright and spacious classrooms with professional-quality equipment
Each student has his or her own table and the necessary equipment to study with efficiency and serenity.
The school also has a laboratory classroom with 12 workstations equipped with all the professional material for the observation and analysis of gems.
Each course for the diplomas is led by two teachers: each one enriches the course with his professional experience; the courses are more dynamic; the practical work is accompanied at best and optimized.
Instruments used for classes and workshops include:
- 10x loupes
- Adjusted light sources
- Ultraviolet light station
- Chelsea colour filters
- Measurement gauges
More than 3000 Teaching Specimens
EGM’s most prized pedagogical tool is its collection of more than 3000 gem specimens. Carefully selected over the course of many years the collection includes natural, treated, and synthetic gemstones as well as organic and ornamental gem materials chosen for their characteristic features.
The strength of iGEM
In July 2021, the EGM merged with its two exclusive partners, the LLG Laboratory and the Gemstone and Jewellery and Appraisal Centre. The Gemmological Institute of Montreal was born!
This merger allows the EGM to use the instruments present in both centers to serve the students. New services and training will be created, with a common objective: to provide graduates with immediate know-how and specialization that will allow them to enter the working world quickly and efficiently.
Facilities for our Students
There is a cafeteria with all the necessary equipment for students to eat in peace and quiet.
Students taking on-site courses for the diplomas are encouraged to are welcome to come to the school to study outside of class hours. A space is at their disposal; they also have the possibility to access a classroom if it is available, to practice using the instruments and observe the gems under the supervision of a teacher.
Everything is done to ensure that everyone succeeds in their studies at the EGM!